Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Oh those sleepless nights...

Zach didn't sleep through the night until he was 6 months old, but with the exception of a few teething and illness related nights he has slept through the night ever since.

Well we got a cold this weekend. I don't know if it is because I'm sick or I'm out of practice of staying up all night but the past two nights have been a real challenge. My poor little man hasn't been able to sleep because he can't breathe well. We put a humidifier in his room last night and that seemed to help a little bit. He just wanted me to hold him all night. I think when I hold him he can breathe better than when he is laying down. While it was hard without any sleep I actually sort of miss those late nights with him. I loved our quiet time together where it seemed like there was no one else in the world and he totally needed me. I wish he wasn't sick though.

The worst part about him being sick is he can't blow his nose. I know he would feel better if he could just get it out. He actually is learning from watching me but he hasn't quite mastered it.

The potty training has been postponed. Melissa watched Zach on Monday since she was home so I stopped by Target to buy a potty. Wow...decisions, decisions. There are talking and singing potties and potties that turn into step stools and potties that even have flushers. We ended up with a potty that turns into a two step stool so he can use it when he gets a little bit bigger. I was a little afraid of a singing toilet so I wasn't sure how Zach would respond to it.

I want to wait until I'm home with him all day and he is feeling 100% before we begin the training so we'll probably start this weekend.

1 comment:

Angelle said...

I hated when Leah had colds because there is not a lot you can do. We used the humidifier too (same one as you, if I remember). There were also nights when she would sleep in my arms. Now I always hope she will sleep through the night, but when she doesn't, I do enjoy the rocking in the dark and quiet when Leah snuggles up to me.

We may have the same potty too. :) I only bought it because one day Leah told me I needed to change her diaper, but she was clean. Then a few minutes later she pooped. So I thought maybe we could play "sitting on the potty" if that ever happened again. Good luck with the potty training!