Friday, April 20, 2007

Priorities

Well tax season is finally over. Thank goodness. I don't think I could have taken another day. I have been struggling with life balance issues since Zachary was born but this tax season completely put all of my priorities in order.

Before I had Zach I had aspirations of being partner at our firm. I didn't care how hard I had to work or how many hours I had to work. It was worth it. It was all I knew. Then along comes Zach...complete 180. I don't care if I make partner all I really want to do is stay home and be a mom. Why is it that having a child makes your entire life change? You just have no idea how much you or your life will change until your little angel is here. I never dreamed that I would have aspirations of being just like my mom. I don't want to miss anything. I want to stay home and bake cookies for Easter and volunteer in his classroom and coach his little league team.

Well South Florida is a pretty expensive place to live so we've decided to put the house on the market. Who cares if you have a nice house with a yard for your child to play in if you are never home to play with him in it. I'm not sure what we are going to do or where we are going to go. I'm having a hard time with that right now. If we move we will be leaving more than our home we will be leaving my family. I LOVE that Zachary is so close to my parents. He sees them on a weekly basis. I grew up near my grandparents and I'm so close with them. The downside of staying is that we will be in a cramped apartment. If we moved to a less expensive city we could afford a nice house.

I know some mom's can do it all but I can't. I can't give everything I want to Zachary and baby #2 and continue to work the way I am. So once we sell the house I'm going to be able to hopefully cut back to part time. I would love to not be able to work at all but that just isn't possible right now. We are going to do everything we can to make that happen. Hopefully soon I'll be able to work entirely from home and then it won't matter if I have to work.

I'm sorry for the ranting but...I was feeling a little overwhelmed through tax season and working 70 hours per week that it had been building up for a little while.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm right there with you, Christina! I can't even imagine how you survived those 70 hour weeks. Glad to hear you're taking the steps to do what matters most to you. Good for you! :)

Melbourne is calling you!! Lots of friends for you and Zach! :) Only a couple hours from your parents. :) I know you have to do what's best for you, but we'd love to have you up here! :)

stacy said...

hey there...north carolina is always an option =)....see you soon.

Angelle said...

You know we would love to have you up here. Our cul-de-sac still has houses for sale and you would fit right in with our little group!!!