Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Taking a stand...can you be jailed for this?

Well we are still having trouble with the picky eating. Zach has pretty much not ate dinner for the past two nights.

Tuesday night he told me he didn't want fish or pasta(his favorite) he wanted candy. I had bought a bag of Hershey kisses for his teacher for teacher appreciation week and a few wouldn't fit in the container I bought so I left them on the counter. I told him he could have a candy after he ate. No, mommy I'm full. I told him if he was too full for pasta he was too full for candy. He asked several more times and he didn't end up eating that night with the exception of about 2 pieces of pasta.

Fast forward to last night. I made chicken and a salad...once again, I'm full mommy. I did get him to eat a few pieces of chicken....mmmm. Hopefully this will end before he starves to death.

On a happier and much more adorable not. I've read that if you let kids help you in the kitchen they are much more likely to eat the food (Note: this doesn't work), however it makes for a lot of fun. I have a bamboo cutting board that came with a small cutting board. Whenever I cut veggies at night, Zach gets out his cutting board and his "sharp" (what he calls a plastic knife from IKEA) and cuts beside me.

While I was in the middle of making dinner, Kaitlyn had a mess so I went in to change her. While I was changing Kaitlyn, Zach took out all of my pots and set them on the kitchen floor and then took out the pasta and poured it into all of the pots and put all of the lids back on. When I got back into the kitchen he told me that he had made me pasta for dinner. He then wanted me to taste it. In my efforts to teach him that tasting is good, I had to eat several pieces of raw pasta that he "cooked" for me. YUCK!!! Pretty cute though, huh...I love that kid!

1 comment:

Angelle said...

I am proud of you for taking a stand. Kids will not starve themselves so he will eat when he gets hungry. I've read that kids get all the nutrition/calories they need over the course of a week, not a day. Just keep offering positive choices.