Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Binky Hiding and Slobberbowl 07

Per a request, here is an update on Zachary's reaction to his new little sister.

Zachary wasn't sure about Kaitlyn the first month she was. He would give her kisses and talk about the "baby" but I'm not sure he realized she was here to stay.

As month 2 rolled around, Zachary realized the "baby" was here to stay. I'm not sure he was happy about his realization. He would kiss her but it was more of an attack than a kiss. He would leave marks he would kiss so hard and she would be covered in drool. I think it was just an interesting way of really beating the crap out of her. I didn't want to discourage him from kissing her but I had to be careful obviously with his "love" for her.

His new favorite game became grab the binky out of Kaitlyn's mouth and run and hide it. The grabbing could be quite forceful and Kaitlyn wasn't too fond of this game. Joe and I were getting really tired of this new little game also. We tried chasing him down and making him apologize, blah blah blah...this approach wasn't working. Kaitlyn would be screaming and I would be chasing my little crazy man. I started off with 6 binkies but some how we were down to only 2. The last straw came when Kaitlyn had a particularly rough morning and I just had gotten her to sleep and Zach came and pulled the binky right out of her mouth. She immediately started screaming again. I know you all know the frustration level at this point. I couldn't find our "backup binky". I'm looking every where begging Zach to tell me where he put the binky. Reasoning with a 2 year old isn't always effective. He told me he put it in our Christmas tree but I didn't see it. Then after a desperate search, I returned to the tree (where in my panic I had obviously overlooked it. ) Zach had chucked the binky and evidently it landed smack dab in the middle of the tree and stayed there. I had ordered the binkies from a place Keri recommended so I called and ordered 10 more. I was going to try a new approach.

Zach was obviously trying to get attention (which I assure you he was getting plenty of). Now that I had ten, if he grabbed the binky I would just ignore him and go and get a new one. I think it took 3 or 4 more times and it was over. YEAH!!!! Why did I make such a big deal out it? Oh well hindsight is 20/20, my 2 year old had out smarted me.

I think Kaitlyn has finally won over Zachary though. The binky-stealing and mob kisses have been replaced by sweet caresses and loving words. When Kaitlyn starts crying now, Zach tells her, "its ok baby girl" and will gently rub her cheek and lightly kiss her forehead.

Ahh...peace in the household.

No comments: